A Rendering of the House – Post-Mansard

In Home renovations in Melbourne we hired an architect to come up with a design to address the mansard roof and make the house into a standard issue colonial that while wasn’t groundbreaking architecturally, it would surely/hopefully boost the resale value of the house when and if the time would come to sell. The process of coming up with the new house plans was pretty simple because we weren’t looking for any over-the-top features and we weren’t changing the footprint of the house. I’m a pretty simple person who is favoring contemporary design more and more so turrets, balconies, huge columns, cupolas and other decorative elements did not factor into the end product. After a relatively quick turnaround, here’s the design we came up with:

Architectural rendering of the house without the mansard roof

This picture shows the entire house covered in brick. We also had a set of plans drawn up where the part of the house covered by the mansard would be replace with siding. We wanted to price out both options to see what they would cost while being mindful that we would have the neighborhood homeowners association to weigh in as well. Interestingly enough, the price the contractor quoted for the brick and Hardiplank siding options came out very close. They said it was because of the extra framing required in order to accommodate the siding, which wasn’t necessary with brick. Because our association requires houses to be made of brick or stone, we felt comfortable knowing that we did not incur a significant expense by choosing a brick exterior. We chose to use brick all around the house instead of putting siding at the back because there wasn’t a huge savings to omit brick at the back.

One of our concerns was whether or not the contractor would be able to match the brick from the old part of the house with the new part. They assured us that it wouldn’t be a problem, but we did keep in the backs of our minds that we might have to paint in case the brick didn’t match.

Since the house is so wide, we added dormers to the roof to break up the roofline. The original peaked portico would be replaced by a more traditional square portico with a railing on top. Otherwise, the original window placement all remained the same.

I taped this picture to the walls so I could remind myself that no matter how bad things might get, it would all be worth it in the end!